Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013


Monday, September 30, 2013

9:56 AM I'm still drinking coffee and watching TV. Dr. Oz is on. I don't usually watch him, but I'm enjoying it this morning. My news channel is not coming in at all on the antenna. The antenna is in position as it should be and I haven't changed it in over a week. I was getting reception just fine, but now I'm not, so I think it is the broadcast station that isn't at full output. It's a little cloudy today, and sometimes that seems to cause problems, too.

I have to call my doctor's office to get them to put in a prescription, or call Walgreen's and get them to request it again. It has been over a week, so I think they never received the request. I was supposed to take my weekly bone pill this morning, but I was out with no refills allowed. It won't hurt if it is a day or so late every now and then, I'm sure.

I need to go to see the doctor and show him the letter from the insurance company denying my stress test. The letter is not really clear and I want Dajac's office to request the tests again. I'm not sure the secretary told them everything when she requested the test authorization, and I have the right to dispute the finding.

I spoke to the woman who called the insurance company, and was unable to get her to put in another order for the test, listing all the symptoms I had. She said for me to call the insurance company. I have already done that and they said for me to put in a written request. So I typed a thorough letter describing what happened and when, and sent a cc to Dr. Dajac. I can't send it today, though, because my printer has chosen this time to stop all printing until I replace the three color cartridges that are supposedly outdated. I'll go to Walmart tomorrow and get ink cartridges. It's going to cost a bundle. Have to do it, though.

I have finished reading the biography of Zora Neale Hurston. She wrote some things that got her considerable acclaim, but had some failures too. Some of her work was not in tune with the times, because she wasn't trying to complain about how black people were treated as other black writers were, so her work wasn't always what the editors and the public were expecting. She wasn't really interested in politics, and didn't think that simply integrating the school systems would improve the lot of black children. Also, she was a Republican. She stuck to her guns and produced what she wanted to. Probably as a result of that she never made very much money on her writing, and lived in more or less desperate financial conditions most of her life, but she didn't give up. In 1959 she had a stroke and was put into St. Lucie County Welfare Home. She had another stroke and died on January 28, 1960. Her most important work was Their Eyes Were Watching God. She had close friendships with Langston Hughes and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, and was an important part of the Harlem Renaissance. She traveled extensively whenever she could scrape together the money, usually collecting folk tales and music. She wrote several stage productions using the folklore, though she never had much financial success with that either. I have to admire her fight and determination, though. She never gave up writing until she had the stroke. I'd like to read her most famous work as it was a fictionalization of one of her love relationships, and explored the equality of men and women in relationships.

4:57 Time to eat. The end for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment