Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013


Wednesday, September 18, 2013

News –- The Today Show had a series of new patents on today, several of which I missed, but the the last three were interesting. The best one was a set of folding reading glasses which fold up into a round pendant that you wear around your neck. Then when you can't see your menu you just open them up for the time it takes to read it and then close them up again. They are decorated with rhinestones and hang from a long chain that has no clasp, under the theory that you can't see clasps anymore. It looks like something that will sell. I wear glasses all the time, but if I didn't I would definitely need them.

The weather forecast for today is a 50/50 chance of rain, and from the look of the sky it's coming this morning. I'm having to use my bedside lamp, it's so dark outside. Oh, well. There has been no rain for over a week, so I assume we are in a drought by now. That is the standard condition in Jacksonville, hence the paleness of lawns and shrubbery as compared to the darker green in Piedmont NC where I come from. I do sometimes miss the deep black soil and greenery as you drive along the roads in North Carolina.

I need to buy a new mouse. The roller ball in my mouse is not turning like it should and I'm having to pick it up in my hand and turn the ball with my finger. Supposedly you can open up the mouse and pull the ball out and wash it to solve that problem, but I can't get it to open. I also need printer inks, so I should just go out to Walmart and get them both. I'll try to do that soon.

Reading now. I rushed on through the book. The author basically says to accept your introversion and use the strengths that it entails. Don't fight your nature. If you “can't think” in a big, loud party, then don't go to one. Don't make excuses for yourself about it – just thank the well-meaning extrovert for the invitation, but say you need some time to yourself or even that you don't like large groups of people. Most people understand that. Do meditate, exercise your imagination and your logical abilities, do something artistic or read a book. Don't consider yourself to be inferior or weaker because you spend a lot of time thinking. If you want to participate in a group activity, do so, knowing that you can go home earlier than some of the others. We are all mixtures of introversion and extroversion, and both types benefit from the society of the other. Don't nurse anger at the extroverts if you can help it. Anger does lead to mental and emotional illness. Instead give yourself the things that make you feel satisfied –- ideas over game playing or lightweight conversation and cooperation over competition. Write, paint, play music, take a quiet walk or talk to a close friend.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be only in the presence of other introverted individuals because I sometimes find extroverts, if they have the capability of listening as well as talking, to be up beat and cheering. I do think it is possible to be alone too much, and I find that my introspective thoughts can become depressing. If people are the competitive type, I don't want to be around them, though. To me competition is not the action of a friend. I want close friends, primarily, rather than a large number of acquaintances that I tolerate, but don't really like. So I can be fairly critical about the matter if I think they are uncaring, unthinking or even cruel. To me people like that aren't superior. They're extremely flawed.

5:00 It's news time. Goodnight.












No comments:

Post a Comment