Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013


Monday, August 5, 2013

11:38 AM I am overjoyed. I found my car title. Instead of putting it in the drawer with the rest of my important papers, I had put it in a file folder marked Honda 1993. The folder was in a cloth valise with some other special files, and stored beside the dresser up against the wall in a place that I almost never go. Out of sight, out of mind! This saves me $85.00, which I thought I would have to spend to get a copy of the title.

I went to the library and didn't get murder mysteries. I'm trying to broaden my reading and include some classics and non-fiction, plus popular fiction. I went to the regular fiction section and got The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and Jean Auel's The Land Of The Painted Caves. I have read all of Auel's other stories and for a number of years was waiting impatiently for her last in the series, then I gave up thinking about it. I was afraid she had decided not to produce another one. I am reading the last one now. It's very long, so I'll be busy with it for a week or more.

Speaking of authors, I looked up J J Jance on the Internet a couple of days ago and found a link to click to email her. I wrote her an email and she wrote me back within twenty minutes or so. She is very personable. I have saved her email onto a word document so I can look at it from time to time. She's one of my favorites, so it's a bit of a thrill to have made contact with her. Every time I read a novel I look at the author's picture to see what I can of their personality. To have an email from her is very special.


Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It's warm and moist today. It's right at a temperature that I keep having to turn the air conditioning on and off, since I have no intermediate settings. There is no rain so far, but it is cloudy and humid, so maybe it will rain later.

Richard wants to take the car to Firestone to have them read the odometer. It is a 5 digit odometer, and they “roll over” to 0 after they reach 99999, according to an article on the Internet, so you have to know how to read them to see how many miles are on them. He wants to try to figure out how much more life the engine has in it. He read something on the Internet that said that most 4 cylinder engines are done for at 200,000. I basically have faith that Hondas are such well-made cars that they will run longer than most other brands before they give out, and that theoretically you can keep it running forever if you keep doing repairs. Of course, he has only so much money for repairs. And there is no way that I can guarantee the life of the car too far into the future, though I would expect at least another three years or so. This particular Honda has been cared for well while I have had it, and that certainly helps. We are going to the Firestone place tomorrow to get them to look at it. There is another man who has offered to buy it from me, but I would rather sell to Richard for selfish reasons. I have taken him to Walmart and other places a number of times now, and he said he would return the favor to me if I need a ride. Oh, well. I'll know more tomorrow. Still, he has to scrape up the money to make payments or he can't buy it.

I'm slowly reading The Land Of The Painted Caves. It's interest value is in the cultural interactions and survival techniques of the people. It does remind me of an anthropology course I took in college, which I liked a great deal. I'm enjoying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment