Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

11:06 AM I have just written a letter to the mayor, president of the city council and chair and vice chair of the library board. I got the email addresses from the desk attendant at the Brentwood Library Branch. They are thinking of closing the Brentwood branch to save money. Brentwood is my local branch and is on an easy bus route from my apartment. I laid out the neighborhood's needs for local library branches and my personal need for a convenient location, especially now that I will have to give up my car. Also, I just simply like the cozier, more personal atmosphere at a smaller branch.

Richard wanted to go to Firestone to get them to show me how to read my 5 digit odometer. I'll call him and see when he wants to go. I would rather wait until after lunch now that it has gotten so late.


Friday, August 9, 2013

Mayor Alvin Brown answered my letter about the library. He didn't promise to keep the branch open, of course, but did write a substantial answer to my comments. I just hope they don't close that library branch, because it's on a bus line that goes straight down Pearl St. past the library and I can get to it even if I no longer have the car.

Richard has decided, at least tentatively, that though he can't buy it he can afford to rent my car on a monthly basis for a number of trips to the beach to sing and to Walmart and Publix. If he pays me $70.00 a month rent it will cover my insurance costs and allow me to keep the car, and still give me the use of the car into the foreseeable future for trips around town. At some point the car will simply wear out, but Hondas are long-lasting, so I expect to keep it another three or more years. I have the savings account to cover car repair costs, if they aren't too expensive.

I just found a long Wallace and Maness family tree on the Internet and emailed it to Gwen and Hilda. I was looking under Lucy Maness and found my great, great aunt Lucinda. I don't know who originated the family tree, but it includes lots of Wallaces, Manesses and Deatons and is quite a few pages long.

I'm just reading again today. This Auel book is 700 pages long, so I will be reading for quite a while. I don't have any pressing errands to do, although I need to go to Publix for yogurt and canned milk, plus some more canned beans and cheddar cheese and dried plums. It doesn't have to be done today, though.

I just realized today that I forgot Gwen's birthday because I didn't have it written down on the calendar. I have almost no sense of time, at least beyond the span of a day. That is one reason why writing a diary like this helps me. It keeps me from going too far off into daydream land. I also find that I can read it again after some time passes and it's almost like someone else wrote it. It's a surprise to read it, since I don't remember the words.

I'll end now, and go back to reading my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment